The sample RICS building survey gives an example of the general layout of the level 2 and 3 surveys. Get the level 3 PLUS package and get a reinstatement valuation, summary of repair costs, and aerial images.
*The sample report will be automatically downloaded onto your device.
BUILDING SURVEY (Level 3)
Whether your property is old or new, choosing our Building Survey is a level three survey service that provides the most in-depth inspection, ensuring your investment is justified.
Is a Building Survey right for me?
You’re making the biggest purchase in your life. Knowing exactly what you’re buying avoids expensive surprises.
Our Building Survey (level 3) suits both new and old property types. We always recommend it for older homes as they’re more likely to have defects to put right and, in many cases, structural changes.
The level three survey is much more detailed than the RICS Homebuyers Survey level 2, and looks at more than just the condition; it delves deeper into the material used, performance characteristics, future repair and maintenance, and feasibility assessments for extending the building. However, a newer house can also present problems that must be fixed, and this report provides ample advice.
A Building Survey is also ideal if you intend to alter or extend your new home. For example, we assess the loft construction, should you be looking to convert it. So. you’ll understand exactly what you’re buying.
What will the report give me?
Working to strict RICS standards, we carry out desk research plus a detailed visual inspection of every accessible area. We also suggest potential hidden defects in areas that might not be fully inspected (such as certain types of underground drainage systems).
- We suggest the most likely cause for each defect found
- We detail how to put it right and explain what could happen if you don’t
- We recommend where you can find suitable contractors to carry out the work
Your report will be incredibly detailed and include plenty of photos. And yet, it’ll be easy to understand, written in plain English. We rate defects and recommendations with our user-friendly traffic light system. Your priorities are clear to see.
Many people reference their Building Survey report for years after moving in. It tells you exactly what to focus on to improve your home.
Working to get you answers swiftly, we arrange a property visit once you instruct us. You’ll receive an email summary of that inspection within 48 hours too. And you can always contact your surveyor directly. There’s no need to be worried about unanswered questions.
Your survey will include:
- A full inspection of the building (lofts, basements and permanent outbuildings included), giving advice on materials use, repairs and maintenance
- Inspection of the gas, electrical, solar, plumbing and drainage
- Fixtures and fittings (kitchens, doors, windows, etc.)
- Building control compliance check and commentary for all structural alterations
- Extension feasibility assessment and guidance
- Dampness and timber decay check (woodworm and rot)
- Hazardous materials commentary (Asbestos, lead anthrax etc.)
- Subsidence risk assessment
- Flood risk assessment
- Environmental factors
- Extension guidance (loft conversions and rear extensions)
- A full comprehensive report detailing all repairs and remedial action in electronic format
Extra add-ons available:·
- Breakdown of estimated costs and recommended trades·
- Aerial drone images for a closer look at roofs, chimneys, and the surrounding area
- Reinstatement valuation.
You can also upgrade your Building Survey with some (or all) of our Plus Package.
- Aerial drone photos to investigate the roof condition fully
- Cost estimations of remedial work to support negotiations
- Rebuild valuation for insurance purposes
What will my Building Survey look like?
All our reports are easy to read and written in plain English that you’ll understand. And to further support you, we’re happy to arrange a follow-up phone chat.
How long will the Building Survey take?
With the most comprehensive survey available, we take more time for our property inspection and creating your report. Expect to receive your Building Survey report in an estimated 10-12 working days.
We’ll also email you within 48 hours of our inspection to ensure you have a summary of the findings to hand. We know having the facts is important at such a stressful time.
What will a Building Survey (level 3) cost?
RICS Building Survey reports start at £850 (including VAT), subject to the property value, structure, and configuration.
Simply complete our form below, and we’ll give you an instant quote based on the building you’d like us to survey.
- Inspection of the building services (Gas, Electrics, solar, plumbing and accessible drainage chamber).
- Hazardous materials check (Asbestos, lead, Anthrax etc. – Visual only).
- Building control compliance check and comments.
- Dampness and timber defects check (Check for dampness and rot)
- Inspection of outbuildings and grounds
- Environmental Factors (Nuisance etc.).
- Flood risk assessment.
- Subsidence risk assessment.
- Email summary of findings within 48 working hours.
- Images taken during the survey.
- A RICS level three survey report detailing all defects in electronic format.
- Estimated turnaround time 10-12 working days.
SOLAR PANELS: IS IT POSSIBLE TO INSTALL ON MY HOME?
If you want to install solar panels on your home in the UK, there are several factors you should consider:
The best windows for Period Property: Double Glazing Benefits Explained
Double-glazed sash windows are an excellent option for period properties, as they offer many benefits over traditional single-glazed sash windows. Here are some of the main benefits of...
6 ESSENTIAL TIPS FOR NAVIGATING LEASEHOLD PROPERTY PURCHASES
Buying a leasehold property is different from buying a freehold property. When buying a leasehold property, it is important to consider the following things:
GUIDE TO BUYING A LISTED BUILDING: EXPERT TIPS FROM FLETTONS
Buying a listed building can be an exciting and unique experience, but it is important to be aware of the following things before making a purchase: