EXPERT TIPS FROM FLETTONS
Purchasing a listed building is both a thrilling and distinct journey. It merges history with homeownership, offering a unique backdrop to your life. However, before diving into this adventure, it’s essential to understand some key points. Flettons Surveys has streamlined this for you with the following tips:
- Alteration Restrictions: Due to their historical significance, listed buildings have stringent guidelines regarding modifications. Before planning any change, whether internal or external, remember that you might need specific permissions from local authorities.
- Maintenance and Repairs: The charm of a listed building might come with more upkeep. Older structures can demand frequent maintenance. Ensure you’re ready for this commitment and have a list of specialist contractors who are equipped to handle such buildings.
- Energy Efficiency: Historic buildings may not boast modern energy efficiencies, potentially leading to higher utility bills. Think about the feasibility and costs of upgrading systems to make your home more energy-efficient.
- Insurance Matters: Given their age and historical importance, listed buildings often carry a higher insurance premium. Before committing, explore the market for the best insurance deals tailored for such properties.
- The Historical Angle: Embrace the narrative of your potential home. Recognizing its history and cultural relevance can give you a deeper connection to your space and inform you of any additional responsibilities or considerations.
- Consider Resale Value: While the character of a listed building is unmatched, it might cater to a niche market when it’s time to sell. Do thorough research on the property’s potential resale value to ensure a sound investment.
Take the Next Step with Flettons
Purchasing a property, especially one as special as a listed building, can be daunting. However, with Flettons Surveys by your side, you’re in safe hands. We provide detailed building survey reports, giving you peace of mind before making your investment. Ready to move forward? Use our instant quote calculator or dial 0203 691 0451 to discuss your needs with our experts.